đź’ˇ Posting ideas & feature requests for Breww đź’™

Have an idea or request? Discuss and plan it here. As a community, we can work together to make Breww even better than the Breww team could do without your input. Everyone has 20 votes, so please vote for your favourite ideas to help the Breww team prioritise what’s important to you.

We’ve been building and further developing Breww ever since it was first released for early adopters, and always with the advice and suggestions of our breweries. By using the feature requests area of the Breww Community, we can bring together all the breweries who use Breww day-in and day-out to share ideas and suggestions to help make Breww even better for everyone.

How can I see existing feature requests?

You can click on the Ideas & feature requests link in the main menu, to see the existing feature requests sorted by their number of votes. If you see something you like, please vote for it.

If you have an idea, please search for an existing thread before opening a new one, as duplicate threads mean the number of votes gets split between two threads, and your idea is less likely to be implemented. If you cannot find an existing thread for your idea, please do open a new one. We welcome feature requests with open arms :open_hands: Thanks for helping to make Breww even better :blue_heart:

How do I post a new feature request?

If you can’t find your idea already posted, you can post a new idea/feature request by opening a new topic in the Ideas & feature requests category, here in the Breww Community. To do this, you can click here.

It’s also worth thinking about how you title your request, as it’s in your interest to enter a succinct but descriptive title that describes exactly what your idea is. This will make it easier for others to find and vote for your idea, and this will, in turn, increase the priority that the Breww Team give to your idea and ultimately, it will be implemented sooner. For example, a request titled something like “Customer improvement idea” isn’t going to be as well found/voted for as something named “Multiple delivery addresses for customers”.

I’ve got lots of ideas. Shall I post one big request?

No, please don’t do this.

If you have multiple requests, you need to post them as separate threads/requests. If you put a number of different suggestions into a single request (even if they’re related), this makes it very difficult for others to find your suggestion and vote for it. It also makes it difficult for the Breww Team to implement it and mark it as complete.

With so many feature requests coming in each day, it’s absolutely crucial that we have processes in place to ensure they can be tracked and managed efficiently. Without clear rules on how feature requests are handled, we would simply lose track of what our customers are asking for, and that’s not in anybody’s interest.

(If you’ve been linked to this section by one of the Breww team, please don’t take offence. We’re not trying to be rude or unhelpful - we’re trying to ensure your ideas can be implemented, and we appreciate your understanding :smile:)

How do I vote for a request?

In the top-left of all feature request topics, there is a vote button. It’s really important that you use this button to register your vote for an idea. “Liking” a post (with the heart button) or commenting on a thread does not count as a vote.

Comments are still really useful for us to make sure we are building the best possible feature, so please do share your thoughts in the comments, as well as voting.

Can I vote for my own requests?

Yes, absolutely, please do. You can open as many feature requests as you’d like, but you only get 20 votes (more why below), so voting for your own request is still an important step for your top requests.

How do I subscribe to notifications on feature request threads?

We will always post an update on the thread if there’s been any news, so keep an eye on the thread for updates. You can make sure you’re subscribed to notifications by using the button with a :bell: in it on the right of the thread. It looks a bit like this:

subscribe-guide

How are feature requests prioritised by the Breww team?

The Breww team uses a number of factors to decide which ideas to build next. The number of votes that an idea has is a big factor in how we prioritise tasks, but it’s far from the only factor.

It’s also important to note that not all features take the same amount of time to implement, for example, one of the most significant features in 2022 in terms of dev time was the price book updates, but on the surface this doesn’t look like a project of the size it was. This feature is definitely an “iceberg”.

How many votes does an idea need before it will be built?

There is no fixed number of votes, and occasionally, we build features with just one vote. We have a team of developers working full-time on adding to and improving Breww every day, and as soon as a project is completed, we start on the next one. Please see the previous section for how we prioritise feature requests.

How do I know if there’s been an update on a feature request?

Someone from the Breww team will always post an update on the thread. Please avoid posting questions that only ask if there is an update. If there hasn’t been a post from the Breww team, then there isn’t an update. The more time that our team spends replying to posts to explain that there hasn’t been an update, the less time we have to actually push our platform forward and work on these new features for you. I’m sorry if this seems harsh, but it’s the honest reality as we’re a small team.

If you’d like an idea to be implemented, the best thing you can do is vote for it and comment with any extra suggestions/ideas you have that are related.

When a feature request is completed, it will be tagged as idea-completed - you can use that link to see a list of all public feature requests that have been implemented based on feedback from people like you :smile: Thanks for all the suggestions.

Why do I only have 20 votes?

You can think of votes like a currency, with everyone having 20 votes. You can “spend” your votes on any open feature request that you’d like to.

It’s a very difficult and complex task for the Breww team to determine which features should be built next so we’re using your help to do this. Limiting the number of votes that you have, forces you to prioritise what you want to spend them on too. Over the years, many people have asked us if they can have more votes as they’ve used them all, but if you can’t decide which features you want the most, how are we supposed to :wink:

Whenever a thread that you have voted on is closed (usually because it’s been implemented), you get your vote back and can “spend” it again.

You can see what you have voted for at any time and retract a vote if you’d like to “spend” it on another idea instead. To remove your vote from an idea, click on the same button again (which will show as “Voted” instead of “Vote”).

How can I see what I have voted for?

To see a list of everything you have voted for, click on “My Posts” in the sidebar and then, you can click the “Votes” button on the left. Here’s how to see your votes:

How do I remove a vote I’ve already given?

If you’ve run out of votes and wish to re-allocate them to different requests or no longer wish to have a feature that you’ve previously voted for, you can retract your vote. You can do this by clicking the “Voted” button (in place of where the originally “Vote” button was).

Please keep requests polite :pray:

We work really hard to make Breww the best we possibly can, but we understand that there will always be missing functionality in Breww for some people (that’s the whole reason for this area of the Breww Community, after all).

Good software cannot be built overnight, adding new features is usually a lengthy process, and with new requests made almost every day, the list of outstanding feature requests is growing. We love to hear your ideas, feedback and suggestions, but we do ask that you are polite and respectful at all times. Please be polite to/about Breww team members, our other wonderful community members and the Breww software platform itself.

I can promise you that if you want us to do something for you, it’s more likely to happen if you’re kind and courteous to us :wink:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Add more vessel phases - diacetyl hold, clear, maturation, bright, etc