Yeast management on Breww

Hi,

It would be interesting to have a yeast management e.g. yeast pitching, yeast cropping…

Are you planning an update for this?

Thanks

Hi Vincent,

Yes absolutely! It’s not currently on our short-term roadmap, but we definitely want to add this sort of functionality in at some point. As well as pitching and cropping, we would like to add the ability to analyse how each generation of the yeast affects fermentation and also of course have the costs tracked against the relevant batches.

If you have any other requests that you’d like to see as part of a yeast management function post them in here, and it would be great to get a discussion going on what would make up the ideal functionality!

I’m also going to give this feature an upvote, as I think it would be a great addition to Breww.

Cheers,
Max

1 Like

Just noticed this thread - I’d like to see functionality for propagation also, alongside some support for lab inventory management (consumables & Use By management notifications .etc) & integration with tasks, & record keeping for yeast related lab work- cell counts, gram staining .etc would all be handy.

Currently adding yeast information to individual gyles & fermentation notes makes it difficult to track yeast across batches, so being able to easily do this would be great.
The analysis & reporting functions sound good. Viability/Cell Counts.etc across batches/generations & being able to compare pitches could be useful (e.g: House Pale batches 1-10 with the yeast generation data for these batches, then if we brewed batches 11-20 with a new pitch, being able to compare generational data to help identify variations in yeast or process)

Thanks & hope this is helpful

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the additional info here. I’ll add it to the yeast management task notes.

Cheers,
Matt

Any progress with this? It’s a pretty big part of brewing. I’ve been going through how we plan to use Breww with the local EHO officer and they’re not particularly thrilled about us re-using yeast and not being able to properly track it. I assume I’ll just have to put each batch in as a stock item and run with it until we get a fresh pitch, but that’ll distort the cost price and add faff.

Very keen for this and also to be able to track pitch rates, it can have a pretty big impact on flavour and it’s something I’d like to keep track of within Breww without having to add a million notes I can’t compare easily.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

The core functionality behind this feature has been started, but it was put on hold when more heavily-requested features continued to be requested.

We are looking to pick it back up shortly, so we’re optimistic it will be before the end of the year - which we’re really excited about.

We’ll update everyone here once we have more!

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Hi,

Just wanted to add to the voices requesting this features to be integrated into Breww. Both yeast tracking as well as the daily yeast counts would be great to see.

While we wait, what’s the best way you’ve been dealing with it so far? Anything besides adding notes/observation on the batch ?

Thanks,
Aleks

1 Like

Hi Aleks,

Thanks for the message, and welcome to the Breww community!

I can confirm that this functionality is well underway and should be completed shortly - we’re excited to show you all what we’ve added!

In the meantime, you can add the yeast batch’s costs using batch costs (under the Utility/costs tab on a batch), which is the simplest way of adding them if you’re just looking to track the costs for now, and add notes recording which yeast batch and generation you used. This obviously isn’t ideal, but the new Yeast management functionality solves all of this - we’ll keep pushing to get it out ASAP!

Thanks,
Max

We’re delighted to announce this feature is now live! :tada:

You can read more about it here:

We’re excited to hear your thoughts! And of course, please let us know about any further suggestions that you might have related to this feature.

We hope you all find this useful!

4 Likes

Hi,

that’s a great news but I have few thoughts:

Would it be possible when clicking on the yeast brink vessel visualisation, to have the choice to manage vessel or view yeast batch in the same way the FV works?

It will be great if we can add the yeast to the beer using the brew sheet

But Thanks for the feature.
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Sure thing - we can definitely look to add that quick-view pop-up that vessels filled with a beer batch have.

We also have plans to incorporate adding your own yeast batch additions into recipes, and allow you to quickly add them from the brew sheet.

I’ll keep you posted on our progress!

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Hi Max,

I can’t see the yeast genealogy on the computer or the app, is that normal?

it will be great to see the strain, the batch and the generation when hovering on the yeast brink vessel visualisation. There is currently just the batch code.
yeast brink

and also on the beer batch ingredients tab
Capture

Thanks,
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

We’ve added the quick-view pop-up on vessels filled with yeast batches, so you should now be able to click through to the yeast batch by clicking onto the vessel. Additionally, we’ve added the yeast strain and generation to the description when you hover over the vessel.

We’re also aware that there was a problem with the yeast batch genealogy flowchart not always showing under the “Genealogy” tab, but that should be resolved now. Are you able to see it on both your computer and the app now?

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.