Substitutable ingredients & ingredient swaps

Hi,

This might be possible but I haven’t noticed it.

Is there a way to have substitutable ingredient for recipes?

When I create beer that has an item I don’t have in stock but have a direct substitute then it flags up and I have to assign it manually. It would be good if you can link inventory items in some way to say they are essentially the same. e.g. crushed malt is the same and whole malt.

Agreed this would be useful, we use two brands of auxiliary finings which are interchangeable so would be great to have a substitution option

Thanks for putting this forward. You’re right that this can’t be done currently, but it would make a great addition, so I’m sure we can look at this.

I’m thinking from a stock item, you can simply pick another stock item and enter a “quantity multiplier” to link the two together and this would result in being able to be swapped “both ways”. The quantity multiplier would be useful if, for example, you need to use more hops when they’re whole-leaf versus when in pellet form.

I’m also linking this to Improvement suggestion to pre-brew stock check - on the fly changes to batches as the two could work well together and feed from the same “substitute” information.

If anyone else would find this use, please give this a vote using the button in the top-left.

Thanks @evan-belogiannis and @steve-neal for your suggestions around automatic substitution ingredients (on another thread). I agree that the best route sounds like the option to have “Out of stock substitutions” on stock items (like we have with products). This could then feed into the pre-brew stock check, brew sheets and more, without having to be set up manually on every batch/recipe.

I’m going to merge the other thread with this one (it will appear below this message) as they’re so closely related and that will keep all the useful feedback (and votes!) in one place. Thanks :+1:

I think a really useful feature for a pre-brew stock check would be an option to swap out ingredients instead of generating a new Purchase Order.

For example. My Draught recipe requires 300kg of Pale Malt, which I’m short on, But I know I have heaps of German Pilsner in stock that have not yet been allocated to a batch. (We order our grain in One Tonne pallets, as the freight is a flat rate. This means we always have a surplus of base malts that we can use)

Having the option to swap out ingredients in the stock check without having to rebuild the entire recipe would be cool.

Is this a realistic request?

1 Like

This is something I’ve thought about before and would be useful as plans change & sometimes swaps are acceptable - but I’ve also been thinking about coming at it from a slightly different angle with the same goal in mind as if you made the swap at stock check level, you would still need to change the recipe or manually assign your malt when you started your batch?

I’ve been thinking about at the recipe stage you could tag/assign alternative ingredients that would be acceptable swaps (a bit like how Out of Stock Automatic Substitution works on Products) - then this could be flagged at the stock check - e.g. you can’t make this, but you can with your approved substitutions.

Maybe this idea would be better executed at the ingredients/stock item level? E.g. you could tell breww in your Pale Malt stock item that German Pilsner is an acceptable out of stock substitution.
Then at the recipe & stock checks this is carried through - perhaps in this case at the recipe level you may also need some way of automatically approving or blocking swaps if there are some recipes that you aren’t prepared to compromise ingredients on.

I haven’t made a feature request yet as the idea is still a bit half-baked, but saw your post & thought I’d add my thoughts in on this area. I appreciate it may also be ridiculously complicated to implement something like this :laughing:

1 Like

The Auto Substitution seems like a great way to go about this.

We get similar products from multiple suppliers, so this would be a perfect function.

1 Like

Great news, everybody! Not only is it nearly Christmas :santa: but this cracking feature has just dropped! :tada:

The announcement can be seen at:

We hope this is useful and welcome any feedback or suggestions for further improvement :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.