Make it easier to use an ingredient substitution on a brewsheet

Would be great to be able to be able to substitute ingredients and update brew sheets while brewing. We do it frequently and it’s a bummer when you get to yeast pitch at the end of the day and discover that type of yeast has changed and have to edit recipe and fill it all in all over again. Thanks.

1 Like

So this is an issue we’ve run into multiple times before, before realising we can change your gyle/actually used ingredients without changing the recipe.

Say you need to change yeast, instead of doing this in the brewsheet, if you go to the gyle page & the ingredients tabs → Add Ingredient, and add the ingredient here, you can choose your new yeast & assign this to the appropriate recipe stage.
This will remove the appropriate stock and if you go back to your brewsheet you’ll see the actual yeast you used recorded against the recipe.
E.g. Add US05, but your batch details will say WLP001 .etc
The recipe will not change.

To detail our point of view on this: we would prefer that the system stays this way without updating the recipe - for instance if a change is made to a core recipe because of a lack of an ingredient on brewday, we would not want our core recipe to change & instead be able to easily identify what the difference is if there were sensory/fermentation differences (this is also easier to pick out using the batch comparison tool compared to ‘regular’ brews).
We’ve found it much easier to spot a change in a brewsheet (you used X instead of Y), than having to compare v6 & v7 of a recipe side by side.
If a change was made and we decided this was the new recipe, then update the recipe retrospectively with version notes explaining why with references to the gyles for historical data.

I don’t work for breww, but I can see how this would be useful, so if this were to be implemented we would further request an option for this feature to be manual or automatic in the settings.

1 Like

Thanks, guys, and I’m sorry for the slow response.

Steve is correct, and we agree that you probably don’t want to change the “recipe” as such, but making it easier to add a substitution would probably be helpful. I’ve renamed this thread to Make it easier to use an ingredient substitution on a brewsheet which I think is the best of both worlds here.

If anyone else would like to see this, please give this thread a vote :+1:

Keen to see this too. I appreciate that you don’t want to make it possible to completely deviate from a set recipe, but I think you’d be able represent what the recipe originally called-for, and the substitution used. Just a “substitute” button next to an ingredient would suffice. Breww could make it clear/highlight where substitutions/deviations have been made.

We need to get a representative costing for a recipe, which requires that we make a recipe for the ingredients we “think” we’ll end up using in order to get a guide price. It’s a bit of a nightmare when we come to change it, as the current substitution solution is convoluted, and it often seems easier to not make a recipe at all with this being the case. We’re not THAT reckless, but we get close. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have an exciting update for you! We’ve just released Substitutable ingredients & ingredient swaps, which should make handling substitutions much easier! :tada:

We hope this is helpful and if you need further improvements, please do let us know :smile: