Import BeerXML recipe format

I develop my recipes in Brewfather. I can export from that in BeerXML format, I believe other recipe development software supports this format.
I think it would be awesome to be able to import a recipe in to breww in beerxml format.
I don’t expect it will be easy or even possible due to the way Breww works, i.e. ingredients needing to be configured, special steps for recipes but it can’t do any harm to ask right?

Cheers!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I agree, it would certainly be a neat feature! As you’ve correctly pointed out however, the differences between the way Breww structures recipes and the way in which Brewfather does makes it more difficult than it appears on the surface.

We are actually putting together our own plans as well to improve the recipe building functionality in Breww, with hop alpha acids, malt extracts and other useful additions to come - so it would actually be a great time to hear what elements of recipe design in Brewfather you find the most useful and intuitive, so it can influence our design going forward!

Given that we’ll be working on these updates soon and the difficulty of matching up the two platform’s behind-the-scenes recipe design, we’ll most likely be focusing on that first and have that functionality in a more settled state before embarking on a BeerXML importer. Especially because each time we want to add a significant recipe feature to Breww, we’d need to also make sure it didn’t break the BeerXML importer - which is time we could spend on improving Breww’s own recipes further.

I hope that makes sense! And I wouldn’t rule it out down the line, but we definitely want to focus on bringing more great functionality to Breww’s own recipe functionality at the moment - and would love to hear any and all ideas!

Thanks,
Max

3 Likes

Just purchased Breww (Mar ‘22). Have you developed a way to import BeerXML files yet?

Welcome to Breww and thanks for joining the community!

I’m sorry, we don’t have BeerXML importing ready yet, but work has started on this recently as our recipes suite is getting some major upgrades. We do hope to have this feature available before too long.

Thanks for getting back to me.

1 Like

Is this feature now implemented? Seems it has been discussed for a few years now…

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m afraid, this hasn’t been implemented yet, but it’s still something we’re looking to do. We’re working hard to improve Breww all the time, but with multiple requests coming in every day, it takes quite a bit of keeping up with!

If you haven’t already, please vote for this request, as this will help push it up the priory list too - use the button in the top-left (you may need to scroll to the top of the page).

We will always post an update on the thread if there’s been any news, so keep an eye on the thread for updates. You can also make sure you’re subscribed to notifications by using the :bell: button on the right of the thread.

For more information on how feature requests work and for help on voting and subscribing to updates, please see this guide:

Cheers!

Great news! We’ve now added support for importing BeerXML recipes! Head to ProductionViewRecipes and you’ll see a new option in the top right.

We hope this helps!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.