Auto set number of consignment boxes for courier integration/labels

This fantastic feature request was from @adam-henderson. I have split this from another thread with multiple suggestions into a single thread to ensure it can be tracked through to implementation properly and others voting know what they are voting for.

If you would find this useful, please give this thread a vote :+1:

1 Like

Adding the idea here that when specifying your boxes, you could enter the dimensions of the box to ensure that Breww can pass over more specific dimensions to the courier when generating labels.

@adam-henderson, following on from the “Delivery rules” discussion thread, I’ve another idea that might be a good middle ground between these two ideas. I wanted to move this part of the conversation here (rather than in the comments on the Delivery rules help article).

I do think your above idea is excellent, but it’s complex and may not be easily implemented in the short term. I have an idea that might be simpler for us to implement as it leverages more existing tooling, so I would like to get your thoughts on it (and the thoughts of anyone else looking for this feature).

I suggest that we build a brand new logic flow (much like the “Delivery rules” one, but separate, as you’ll probably have different conditions). It could have the same sorts of possible filters, but you wouldn’t need to worry about splitting the logic threads for own-vehicle/courier/etc, and it could be purely focused on determining the number of boxes.

The “outcome blocks” (where you set the delivery method with Delivery rules) would be a calculation for the number of boxes for the courier. Rather than just a fixed number, you could enter a formula (similar to how Recipe calculated fields work). You could have variables available to you for use in your formula, such as:

• number_of_casks
  • number_of_kegs
  • number_of_container_type_keykeg_30l (for example. There could be a variable for each container type)
  • number_of_smallpack_mulitpacks
  • number_of_smallpack_singles
  • number_of_smallpack_total_containers
  • number_of_smallpack_24_packs
  • number_of_smallpack_12_packs
  • number_of_smallpack_6_packs
  • …and probably many others, but that should give you an idea

I’ve made some assumptions on quantities (e.g. max 48 smallpack per box), but your formula could look something like this:

round_up(number_of_smallpack_total_containers / 48) + number_of_kegs

In this case, you might get away without needing any “Conditions” and just a formula, but with the option for conditions, you could do something like this to support pallets (assuming max 200kg via courier and max 400kg to a pallet):

flowchart TD
    A["If total weight over 200kg (i.e pallets)"]
    A -->|Yes| B["round_up(total_weight / 400)"]
    A -->|No| C["round_up(number_of_smallpack_total_containers / 48) + number_of_kegs"]

This idea wouldn’t help with box dimensions, but this might be less important.

I hope this all makes some sense. Please let me know what you think :smile:

1 Like

Hi Luke,

I think this will work fine, it is similar to what we do now but if it can do some actually maths then it will work better than what we had before.

I would say keep all keg/cask types as separate variables other than grouping them as a single one because they all weight different weights and depending on which one go though different couriers.

Thumbs up from me.

1 Like

Hi,

Just wondered if there is any progress on this? We still have to set the service and each number of boxes manually on all orders so this will be a massive time saver.

Not yet, I’m sorry, but this is on the radar.

1 Like