Why does Breww create duplicate customers/suppliers in my accounting software with numbers after their name?

When a customer is created in Breww, Breww will attempt to create that customer in your accounting software and map to them. If there is already a customer in your accounting software with the same name, and your accountancy software enforces unique names, then Breww will have to create a unique name for them. This is done by adding a reference number to the end of the customer’s name.

If you didn’t map your existing Breww customers to your existing accountancy software customers after setting up your accountancy integration, then it is likely that duplicate customers will be created in your accountancy platform. To prevent this, simply map existing customers between Breww and your accounting software by going to IntegrationsAccountancy, click the eye icon next to your accounting software integration, then click on the Tools tab, where you’ll then see a Map and download customers button. Here you can map your existing accountancy customers to the correct customer in Breww.

The same process can be done for suppliers and applies to all of our accounting software integrations that enforce unique names.

What should I do about these duplicate customers?

If you already have duplicates created, don’t worry. It can be easily solved by merging the duplicate customers in your accountancy software and then mapping that merged customer to the correct customer in Breww.

If you use Xero, Breww is even able to automatically pick up on the fact two customers have been merged in Xero and automatically re-map them to the Breww customer for you.

If you have any questions, just comment below.

Hi Matt,

We seem to be getting an awful lot of duplicate customers in both Xero and Breww. Not all duplicate accounts have the series of numbers after them either, sometimes it’s the customer postcode or something like that.
This is then causing us some issues when trying to collect DD payments via Go Cardless as our Go Cardless for Xero account has 2 customers, 1 with a mandate and 1 without. Unfortunately the account that has the outstanding payment tends to be the one without a DD mandate attached to it.
We had 1 customer account that had been merged in both Xero and Go Cardless back in April and I’ve just had to re-do it today.

Is there anything you can suggest we do to avoid the duplication of so many customer accounts?

1 Like

Hi Lorin,

Thanks for raising this on the community! I would suggest that these duplicates are created where the name in Breww is not exactly identical, and they have not been mapped, but I would need to look into the specific examples. If you don’t mind raising a support ticket with a couple of examples and granting us access, I will be happy to take a look for you!

We’ve just set up Breww and are having the same problems. New Customer accounts created which then render the current GoCardless mandates useless and i’m having to email each account holder explaining what’s happened and asking them to set up a new mandate. This is having a knock-on effect on cash flow.

I have been into Breww and merged all the accounts as suggested but I don’t think this has had any effect on GoCardless.

any advice?

Thanks

Hi Liz,
I’m sorry you’re having issues. You’ll need to make sure all customers are mapped successfully. Would you mind opening a support ticket so we can access your account and check your set-up? Please also include a few example customers where things aren’t working how you expect. We can then look into this and get it resolved asap for you.