Accountancy software integrations

Initial integration set up

Breww is integrated with a number of accountancy platforms. This guide covers Breww’s automated accountancy integrations, which all work in roughly the same way, and the information on this page applies to them all unless otherwise stated.

• Xero
  • QuickBooks Online
  • Sage Accounting (sometimes known as Sage One or Sage Business Cloud)
  • Clear Books
  • KashFlow
  • Visma eAccounting
  • Exact Online
  • Twinfield
  • Sage 200

If you are using one of Breww’s manual accountancy integrations, please see Manual accountancy integrations.

• Sage 50

Connecting Breww to your provider

The first step is to grant Breww access to your account with your provider. When this is first done, nothing will sync initially and you’ll get a chance to configure how you’d like the integration to work before enabling syncing. To connect, navigate to our IntegrationsAccountancy page and then click the Set up [software] integration button.

Next, you’ll be able to configure a few basic settings, such as which types of data should be synced, optional prefixes for invoice and credit note numbers, etc.

The next steps vary slightly between the platforms (typically, we redirect you to your provider for you to authorise our access), but please just follow the steps shown on screen. This should guide you through the applicable authorisation process, and you’ll be back in Breww just in a moment.

Mapping & downloading customers & suppliers

When you raise an invoice in Breww, we will push this to your accountancy provider. At this point, Breww will create a customer in your accountancy provider to attach the invoice to. When this customer has subsequent invoices, Breww will add these to the same accountancy provider customer that it created the first time. This is all well and good if this is a brand-new customer that doesn’t already exist in your accounting software, prior to you joining Breww, however, if any of your customers already exist in your accountancy software and Breww, you’ll want to “map” them together so that Breww knows this customer already exists in your accountancy provider and puts the orders against the right customer in your accountancy provider.

If you have any customers in your accountancy provider already that are the same as existing customers in Breww (or you’d like them in Breww, and they’re only in your provider), head to IntegrationsAccountancy and next to your accountant provider select ActionsConfiguration, click on the Tools tab, and lastly the Map and download customers button. You’ll be presented with a list of your customers in the accountancy software on the left, and from the right, you can choose the corresponding customer in Breww. You can also choose “Create as new customer in Breww” which will cause the customer to be downloaded from the accountancy provider to Breww and mapped. Make sure you click the Sync customers button after each page of changes and before navigating to a different page, or the customers on the previous page will not be saved.

There is also a helpful Auto allocation button to get Breww to automatically attempt to map your Breww customers to those in your accountancy provider. We do this with an exact match on the name of the customer.

Mapping suppliers is almost an identical process, except you will use the Map and download suppliers button instead.

Chart of accounts (nominal codes)

From the Accounts (nominal codes) tab, use the Download accounts button and choose the accounts that you’d like Breww to be able to use. Once the accounts have been downloaded, you can map your default sales and default bank accounts (in the Settings tab). If you wish for payments of different methods to go into different accounts in your accountancy provider you can set these in the settings here too. If you don’t, just leave them blank.

For even more fine-grain control, you can also set an account on any customer type in Breww (from the customer type list screen) for their sales to go into (rather than the default). Likewise, you can do the same for any product within Breww if you prefer to split sales in this way. Finally, there is a config option to configure which account should take precedence in a conflict. If you’re not sure what this all means, don’t worry about these options.

Sync settings

Sync setting are found in the Settings tab of your integration configuration found by heading to IntegrationsAccountancy and next to your accountant provider select ActionsConfiguration. You can configure options surrounding your sync from here, including which types of data should be synced (customers, invoices & payments). We will never download an invoice from your accountancy provider, we’ll only ever upload invoices from Breww to the accountancy provider. For any of “our” invoices, we will sync payments relating to them both ways - so if you add a payment in Breww, we’ll upload it for you and if you add a payment in your accountancy provider we’ll download this back to Breww.

Enable syncing

This is the main toggle to set if you’d like Breww to sync with your accountancy provider. This will be disabled by default so you have a chance to map your customers, chart of accounts and configure the service to how you’d like it to work. When you’re ready, simply enable the sync. Once enabled, data will be synced to your accountancy provider in the background. We don’t upload orders to your accountancy provider until they have been invoiced in Breww.

How does data flow between Breww and my accountancy software?

Breww Accountancy software Details
Invoiced orders Invoices Orders invoiced in Breww are uploaded. If they are then voided in Breww, they are voided with your provider as well.
Credit notes Credit notes Credit notes are uploaded.
Payments Payments Payments are uploaded and are also downloaded from your provider when an uploaded invoice is paid.
Credit note allocations Credit note allocations Credit note allocations are uploaded.
Customers Customers/Contacts Customers/contacts can be downloaded, and Breww will update them with your provider when updated in Breww.
Inventory receipts Bills/Purchases When an Inventory Receipt in Breww has been marked as “Invoiced by Supplier”, this will be uploaded to your accountancy provider as a bill.

Order flow

graph TD
    A[Draft order] --> B[Confirmed order]
    B --> C[Invoiced order]
    C --> U(Uploaded to accountancy software)
    C --> P[Payments & refunds]
    P --> U
    U --> P
    P --> C
    style U fill:#15c377,color:#fff

Bill (purchase) flow

graph TD
    A["Purchase order (optional)"] --> B[Inventory receipt 'Draft']
    B --> C[Inventory receipt 'Added to Stock']
    C --> D[Inventory receipt 'Invoiced by Supplier']
    D --> U(Uploaded to accountancy software)
    style U fill:#15c377,color:#fff

Sync messages

If Breww is unable to upload something (e.g. an invoice, credit note, payment, etc) to your accounting platform, it will raise a “Sync message” for you and show you a warning number in the “Integrations” main menu. These messages should explain why the item couldn’t be uploaded, so that you can resolve the issue.

For more information on resolving sync messages, please see Why haven't some of my invoices/other documents/payments appeared in my accounting software?.

Once an issue has been resolved, you can either manually force the item to re-try uploading (from the “All sync statuses” tab) or wait for Breww to try it again automatically. Breww will try all stuck items again every 8-10 hours.

FAQ

How often does data sync?

Data should sync initially within 15 minutes of triggering an update on either platform. If the data cannot sync, this should raise a sync message. Once a sync message has been resolved, Breww will re-try the upload again automatically within 8-10 hours.

How do I disconnect my Breww account from my accountancy provider?

To disconnect, simply go to your accountancy settings page and click the Disconnect tab, then click the Disconnect button. This should only be used if you want to permanently disconnect Breww from your account platform (for example, if you’re migrating to a different accounting platform).

If you just want to temporarily prevent syncing, you should disable syncing instead by using the button in the Settings tab.

An order I’ve invoiced hasn’t appeared in my accountancy provider, what do I do?

We have a full guide on this topic available at:

Why has Breww created a customer in my accountancy software with a number after their name?

Will Breww download/import invoices and credit notes that I create directly in my accounting software?

No, never. Invoices and credit notes are a one-way sync from Breww to your accounting platform. Breww only ever pushes invoices and credit notes to your accountancy platform and will never pull invoices into Breww that were created in your accounting software.

We recommend not creating invoices or credit notes manually in your accounting software ever (even if they’re for a non-beer product or something else not currently tracked in Breww). These should be created in Breww, just like any other invoice or credit note. This greatly simplifies a number of processes behind the scenes and reduces the chances of these causing problems (such as conflicting invoice numbers, duplicate customers, customer balance differences, etc).

For invoices that Breww uploaded to your accounting platform initially, the payments are a two-way sync. As a general rule we suggest, where possible, managing payments directly in Breww and letting Breww inform your accounting software, however, if you do add payments to an invoice in your accounting software, Breww will download this information into Breww for you. This is helpful if you create payments from a bank feed/reconciliation process.

If a credit note has been created directly in your accountancy software, we highly recommend cancelling this and raising it in Breww. Breww will not download a credit note that it did not create, and the customer balance will, therefore, be out of sync between Breww and your accountancy software.

Credit notes created in Breww and uploaded to your accountancy software should also be allocated against invoices in Breww and not directly in your accountancy software, as Breww will upload credit note allocations but will never download them, which may lead to errors where a credit note can be allocated twice.

What does this sync message mean?

For help with understanding the sync messages, please see Why haven't some of my invoices/other documents/payments appeared in my accounting software?.

Platform-specific quirks and notes

Xero

I’ve created a contact in Xero, but I cannot map them as a customer in Breww

When you create a contact in Xero, this can be a customer, supplier, or both. However, initially, it will be neither. In order to map them to their Breww counterpart, you’ll need Xero to know it’s a customer/supplier.

• To make the contact a customer, you can create an invoice in Xero, then delete it.
  • To make the contact a supplier, you can create a bill in Xero, then delete it.

:toolbox: Just getting started with Breww? Click here to visit the next guide, or Click here to return to the Getting started guide.

Is there a possibility that Purchase Orders could be synchronised with accountancy software? This is where billing and invoicing is actually done. At the moment we are having to create a PO in Xero then separately create the inventory receipt in Breww.

On the invoicing side the invoices are created in Breww then flow through to accountancy software where the payments are reconciled. In the same manner it would be better if the money side of things was dealt with in Xero rather than Breww as it is our finance team who work in that system. The inventory receipt would still remain in Breww for stock control purposes.

Hi Hazel! We can definitely look at Breww uploading POs to our accountancy integrations - I know both Xero and Quickbooks support this, so it would be possible. However, Breww does already have the ability to upload Inventory receipts as “Bills” in Xero - which sounds like it might do what you’re looking for here.

After you’ve added an inventory receipt to stock in Breww, you can then mark it as “Invoiced by supplier”, which will upload it to Xero as a “Bill”. Your accountants will be able to configure the Charts of accounts (Nominal codes) which are associated with the stock items, too, just like with products and customers. Then the bill is in Xero, ready for your accounting team to pay and reconcile against.

Does this cover what you would be looking for?

This is slightly different from my understanding of how Xero works for bills, or perhaps the way we use it.

In Xero we raise a ‘bill’ when we receive the invoice for the supplier, which is then approved to confirm the goods/services are relevant/correct etc. When the payment is made it then gets reconciled against that bill. Sometimes that bill is raised before goods are receipted and some on receipt so it wouldn’t work to use the inventory receipt feature as the driver for creating the bill. Aso the people who ‘add to stock’ the inventory receipt are not the recipients of the invoice (that goes to our accountancy people). These users are goods in / warehouse / production staff. For this reason I can’t see how the inventory receipt could or should be used to drive the bills feature. Or am I missing something?

We agree associating inventory receipts with “Bills” in Xero definitely isn’t a perfect one-to-one relationship. As you’ve pointed out, a bill in Xero is actually a purchase invoice, rather than a receipt of goods. However, as Breww doesn’t currently support purchase invoices, we had the choice of either driving the bill upload in Xero (and other accountancy integrations) either from a purchase order or an inventory receipt.

In our experience (although I totally accept this won’t always be the case!), suppliers tend to invoice per delivery, rather than per purchase order. For example, if a purchase order is fulfilled over two deliveries, we’ve found they tend to invoice twice, once for the goods on the first delivery and again for the goods on the next, rather than a single invoice covering both deliveries. So that’s why we chose to upload inventory receipts as bills rather than purchase orders.

The idea behind the three inventory receipt statuses (Draft, Added to Stock, Invoiced by Supplier) is then to allow the production and warehouse staff to simply be able to record the delivery as “Added to Stock” before the finance team can move it on to “Invoiced by Supplier” and store the invoice against the inventory receipt once the invoice has been received. The purchase invoice is then created in your accountancy software, ready to be reconciled against the payment.

There’s definitely always scope for improvement, so we can always look at adding more flexibility in how you’d like the flow to work - but I hope that explains why we’ve set it up the way we have so far! The ideal solution might be that Breww fully supports purchase invoices as well, which can be associated with inventory receipts/purchase orders and then Breww can upload them to Xero - it would be interesting to get people’s thoughts on this! We have a feature request here which is aimed at solving the same situation:

1 Like

+1 for PO integration, I think it would be really useful.

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere, and I don’t know as it would happen particularly often, but I have an instance when we have multiple inventory receipts that have been invoiced on a single supplier invoice.

However there isn’t an option to gather inventory receipts into a single invoice, and so this would create multiple invoices in Xero when transmitting data, which is not ideal.

Any better workarounds than have say i, ii, iii on each of the invoices relating to the receipt, or worse still deleting/zeroing the bill in Xero and recreating the single invoice?

Hi Isaac, thanks for your comment! Unfortunately, there is not a way to link inventory receipts together in Breww if the supplier has included multiple deliveries on one invoice. I can understand how this would be helpful in your scenario, and others have raised this in the community. I recommend heading to the feature request suggested by Max (above), which includes similar comments to what you have described and adding your comments and voting on this! Unfortunately, as Breww sends the inventory receipt at the point it is marked as invoiced by the supplier, any changes required after this point would have to be handled directly in Xero. Cheers, Ben.

Hi all, we potentially have a bit of an issue with our accountancy integration and I wondered if anyone else might have experienced this one?

We’re on Sage One cloud accounting (or whatever they’re called this week! :slight_smile:). We have several other Companies setup in the same Sage instance, accessed via the same login. When we enable the integration from Breww, we’re transferred to Sage and are presented with a message prompting allow integration with all of them (which we can’t do).

I’ve hunted around in the integration configuration expecting to find a Company selector, but there does not seem to be any way to select the individual Company we want to integrate with (usual caveats of new Breww boy, probably not looked hard enough etc. apply)

Is this currently possible? If not, is there a workaround or is this a Sage integration issue? All help\guidance is appreciated. We’re really keen to get this integration working as it will cause us some re-keying pain if we can’t solve this.

Many thanks, Craig.

1 Like

Hi Craig - thanks for raising this! If you have access to more than one Sage Accounting (their third name in a few years!) account, Breww connects to what Sage tells Breww is your “Main” account.

However, we’ve made a few updates now to allow you to select exactly which business in your Sage account to connect to if you have more than one! I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble connecting to the Sage account you need to.

Hi Max, I must say this is impressive support and very much appreciated, thank you! So, I’ve just tried to configure the integration again and I’m now getting this message: “You have authorised Breww to access Sage Accounting, but you have no businesses to connect to. Please ensure you have a valid Sage Accounting account.”

I’m not sure how to specify the Business I need to connect to? I can’t see any fields in the integration configuration area.

Hi Craig - no problem at all, and thank you! Although it looks like it was almost impressive support, given you still can’t choose the correct Sage account!

Breww should have been showing you a list of your Sage accounts on the page with that message, so we’ve been investigating why that might not have been appearing. We believe we’ve found why and resolved it now - would you mind heading back to that page and letting us know whether you can see a list of your Sage accounts now?

Hi Max, I’ve managed to successfully see the list of Companies returned from Sage, and able to select the relevant one. I’m now in the process of mapping the nominal accounts etc. and it all looks good so far. Thanks once again for this, we really appreciate it, and hats off for the super quick turnaround with this fix! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey,

I’m new to Breww and have just started using it. How do I get Breww and Quickbooks to sync customers? I’ve added customers manually and synced Quickbooks but when I invoice from within Breww, it’s creating brand new customers in Quickbooks and I’m having to go into Quickbooks and change the customer manually.

Is there a way to map them so this doesn’t happen?

Hi Nick,
Sure, if you head to your Quickbooks integration in Breww, then click ActionsConfiguration, you’ll then see the different tabs across the top. If you click on ToolsMap and download customers, you can map your Quickbook customers with your Breww customers, to make sure invoices are being uploaded to the correct customer.

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Question regarding Quickbooks: if I’ve marked that an order has been paid for in Quickbooks, do I have to do the same in Breww? And what happens if I first mark the order as paid in Breww - will it push that to Quickbooks?

Thanks,
Nick

You can mark the order as paid in either platform, and Breww will ensure the payments sync between the two.