How to configure emails to be sent from your own domain name's email address

You can get Breww to send emails from your own email address. This works by you authorising Breww to send emails on your behalf (which ensures good deliverability), rather than Breww being given access to your email server to use to send emails.

Setting this up is a fairly simple process, but you will need access to your domain name’s DNS server records. If you don’t have this access, or you don’t know what this is, you should speak to someone who does, such as your domain registrar or the person/company who built your website.

To get started, head to SettingsEmail settingsManage sending domains. From here, you can add your domain and you’ll be given the details of two DNS records that need adding:

1. A TXT record that’s used for DMARC.
  2. A CNAME record that’s used for monitoring bounces (return-path).

At this point, you’ll need to login to your DNS system and add these two records. If you don’t know what this is, or how to do this, send a link to this guide, plus the DNS record values shown in Breww, to the right person/company who can help you with this.

Once these DNS records have been added, you’ll need to wait for them to be verified. This usually takes about 30 minutes, but it can be faster and even take up to 48 hours. Unfortunately, the timing here is outside of our control - there is nothing that we can do to speed this up. There is a button to get Breww to double-check the verification status. You may need to check back again the next day to see if verification is complete.

Once verification is complete, if you go back to Email settings, you will be able to enter a from address that uses your domain name. Having verified your domain name, you can send from any email address at that domain, even if this email address cannot receive emails (such as [email protected]).

FAQs

Can I remove the DNS records after validation is complete?

The two DNS records added, must remain permanently in your DNS records. You cannot remove them after passing the verification, or emails will fail to be delivered. These records can only be removed if you completely stop using Breww to send emails on your behalf.

Why don’t the emails sent by Breww show in my outbox?

Emails sent by Breww will not show in your outbox, however, you can check what has been sent in Email settingsEmail sending logs. From here, there is also a suppression list where you can see hard-bounced emails. If an email hard-bounces, Breww will never retry sending to that same address, unless you manually re-activate it (this is to protect your own email sending reputation and improve the deliverability of your other messages).

How can I check if an email was delivered? My customer says it hasn’t arrived!

We have a dedicated help guide to this topic, please see How can I check if an email has been delivered/sent?

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks team. Just set this up and it’s working great.

2 Likes

I am guessing that this will only work with your own private domain and not if you are using @gmail etc or other domain?

That’s a good point, Martin, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, this is only for your own domain and not for shared email domain providers like Gmail & Hotmail (although it will work if you use Google Workplace Gmail with your own domain).

Hi
I’ve tried doing this and I can’t get it to verify.
Breww won’t recognise the TXT record for some reason. I’ve copied it across, so it won’t be an error on that side (misspelling or something), so can I check that the DKIM verification details on Breww are correct and that it has worked for other people?
Cheers
Bob

Thanks for the message, Bob.

I’ve manually checked, and this record is missing from your DNS at the moment. This means that either it’s been added incorrectly (it’s not showing the correct hostname), or we’re still seeing cached results (which is out of our control, but quite unlikely if this was done a few days ago and the return-path record is showing).

I can also confirm that lots of other customers have set this up since it was launched, so we’re confident the issue isn’t with Breww.

If you can post a screenshot of how this has been entered into your DNS records, we can have a look over it to make sure that it looks right to us. If there’s anything else in that screenshot that you don’t want to share publically, you can open a support ticket with the screenshot, if you prefer.

Cheers.

Hi Luke, yes I removed it so I could check everything and then start with a clean slate.
As long as other customers are using it fine then I’m sure we can work out what’s going on on our side.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Luke,
We use Google Workspace for mamboing all of our mail, and 123-reg as our domain hosting. If we add these details, does it mean that all of our traffic will run through Breww (i.e. for all emails)? Or will it be only a single mail address of our choosing?

Thanks for your help.

Geoff

1 Like

Thanks for the great question, Geoff.

If you set this up, you’ll be authorising Breww to send emails on your behalf in addition to Google Workspace (and anything else you may already have set up, such as Mailchimp). Your sending and receiving of emails using Google Workspace will be completely unaffected, so you’ll continue to use Google Workspace to receive and send your own emails.

Technically, you’ll be authorising us to send from any email account @ your domain (then in Breww’s settings, you’ll tell us which to actually send from). The account doesn’t have to exist or be able to receive responses.

For example, if you normally have customers contact you using [email protected], and ask Breww to send from this address, then when a customer replies, their reply (and any further conversation) will happen the way it normally would (i.e. via Google Workspace).

If you wanted (you probably don’t, but it might be useful to know), you could also choose to get Breww to send emails from [email protected]. This email account doesn’t need to exist, and assuming it doesn’t, any replies will bounce. But Breww’s sending from the email address would work fine.

You’ll only need to log in to 123-reg to make the required DNS record changes; you won’t need to touch Google Workplace’s settings.

I hope that all makes, but please do let me know if you need me to clarify anything :+1:

Many thanks for the (very prompt) reply Luke.

I will give it a go.

1 Like