Taproom & POS management in Breww

Breww has a simple and effective workflow for managing your taproom stock.

For any cask/keg stock destined to be served in your taproom, the most simple way to capture this movement is to raise an invoice for the stock to a customer that represents either your business or taproom. This invoice can either be raised at zero cost or, raised at full cost and credited back via a Credit Note (SalesCredit Notes). Once moved through the usual order fulfilment process (order confirmed → marked as dispatched → successfully delivered), this stock will be removed from your saleable product stock, have the invoice synced to your accounting provider and have beer duty calculated on it.

From here, you can sell this stock without worrying about having to update Breww or calculate duty. If you need to return any products back into stock, you can do so safe in the knowledge that this stock is ‘duty paid’ and if sold again, will not charge you duty twice. Likewise, if this stock then needs to be recorded as lost/spoiled (an ullage), Breww will make an automatic duty reclaim on your behalf.

Breww currently integrates with Zettle, Square & Shopify POS (with more on the way!) to help you manage your sales more efficiently. However, our POS integrations don’t just help you manage your taproom, they’re great for events such as beer festivals or farmers’ markets.

Handling served drinks (pints, wine by the glass, etc)

POS stock management can be as in-depth as you want it to be with Breww. You can use the integration to just sell smallpack, but you can also track sales of served drinks too. Much in the same way as our eCommerce integrations, the POS integration is an all-or-nothing approach - meaning that everything on the imported order has to be mapped to a product in Breww. For example, if someone buys some cans and a pint of beer, these two products on your POS account would have to be mapped to the relevant products on Breww.

If you want to track the sales of individual served drinks, each ‘served drink’ must be set up as a ‘service product’ in Breww. Service products are products that have no component beer or stock item and as such, carry an infinite stock figure. For example, you could have a service product named ‘IPA - 1/2 pint’ (but with no associated stock items or packaged beer). All stock sold via a POS integration will be instantly dispatched by the “POS Fulfilment” method, which appears as a new tab in the Deliveries screen. In the case of served pints, there will be no additional duty to record at this point, as this will have been recorded when the source cask/keg was “sold” to your taproom.

With the POS integration, Breww also has the ability to allow multiple products on your POS platform to be mapped to one product in Breww - this means that if you don’t want to track individual served drink sales on Breww but still want to import orders for everything else, you can just map all served drinks to a “Miscellaneous POS drink sales” service product in Breww (you’ll need to create this product yourself).

Breww will also sync the price paid for an item directly from your POS, so there’s no need to update anything in Breww if your prices change from time to time, regardless of whether you’re tracking individual drink sales or not.

It is important to note, however, that served drinks will not feed back to Breww with regards to which container has been used, nor will it account for beer duty as a service product that has no associated ABV. To make full use of taproom management in Breww, you will need to follow the above invoicing process for kegs and casks to ensure the duty is calculated and the container is removed from saleable stock. If needed, ullages can be performed in SalesUllage to make a duty reclaim on any containers returned from your taproom.

If you have “sold” a cask/keg to your taproom, paid the full duty on it, then are unable to sell all the beer within it, you can make an ullage of this container in Breww to reclaim the duty on what couldn’t be sold (just as you could with a container sold to a customer, that was then returned).

Product mapping

Product mapping is the process by which you tell Breww that a product on your POS system is the same as a product in Breww. You don’t need to ensure any names / SKUs / product codes are the same. Instead, you’ll be able to map your products in Breww via IntegrationsEcommerce & POS[Your POS]ActionsProduct Mapping.

As mentioned above, you can map multiple products on your POS account to a single product in Breww if you need to.

Managing your taproom sales with the UK’s draught relief rates

1 Like

Hi James, team,

Thanks for this info. Diving deeper into the taproom sales and managing stock levels of kegs (and part kegs) sold in the taproom…

After I keg a particular beer, I then move them to the taproom coldroom where they are then sold by the glass.

We have 260mL and 390mL glasses for sale in the taproom. When we sell these glasses through shopify POS in the taproom, is there a way to have these 260mL and 390mL products draw down on the keg inventory in the taproom?

Eg. Let’s say I have 1 x 50L keg in taproom. I sell 10 x 390mL glasses (3.9L) via Shopify and Breww can then report/show that I now have 46.1L of beer left in that keg.

Or will I just need to do a physical weekly stocktake of the coldroom??

Cheers,
Drew

Hi Drew,
Yes, it’s possible for you to do this. You’ll need your glasses set up as their own product (if they’re not already), with their own container type per glass. Then, you can go to Containers > Actions & tools > Rack from containers. You can then rack glasses from multiple containers at once, leaving one part filled at the end if needed. The glass products can then be assigned to orders and completed.
I hope this solves it for you. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.
Thanks,
Matt

1 Like

Thanks Matt, all that makes sense, however when I go to assign Pale Ale small glass to rack from Pale Ale kegs, it asks me “Quantity.” I don’t have a particular quantity as there are various Pale Ale items racking from those kegs (Large Glass, Growlers, Squealers etc)…

Is it possible to have this just draw down on the keg volume without having to assign a quantity of glass sales to the keg. Ie just draw down 0.26mL of the 50L keg volume for each sale that Breww sees occur in Shopify (integrated)

Thanks,
Drew

Breww requires you to rack the products so you can assign them to the deliveries, I’m afraid. Breww can automatically calculate the required quantity per container for you, though. Go to a delivery by date page where you have such items to rack, then click on the ‘Items required’ tab, then ‘Rack required smallpack’. Is this better?

Thanks Matt, unfortunately as it’s being sold in the taproom, we won’t know how many large glasses, small glasses or growler refills, etc will be used to empty a keg.

Basically I am hoping to get the same draw-down result on keg quantity that we get with raw ingredients in inventory when we brew a new “batch.”

As a work around, could we put the kegs into “inventory” as a “stock item” ??

Eg. 500L of Pale Ale in 10 kegs being sold in the taproom - create this as a single inventory stock item (500L Pale Ale Kegs)
In the inventory stock item (Pale Ale Kegs), you have the ability to allocate what “products” are sold using the inventory (keg) item. I am adding the small glasses, large glasses etc here as the products, and linking the SKU code in POS to this product, and also mapping the POS sales to these products.

I’ve set up Breww to automatically mark as delivered, however it doesn’t appear to be drawing down on on the 500L keg quantity when a sale occurs in the taproom.

Maybe I’ve missed something here? Why is it not drawing down on the inventory stock item when those products are being sold?

Ah, I see. Have you fully set up the Shopify POS integration to Breww? This would bring in sales with the exact quantity of each container (glass/growler) sold (if this information is entered in Shopify), then you’d know the quantity sold of each container and would be able to correctly package and assign these with a few clicks.
An alternative solution would be to sell a keg to a ‘Taproom customer’, as and when you empty a keg in real life.
It might be best if you could open a support ticket so I can access your account and see how you’ve got this all setup, so I can better advise. If you just put my name (Matt) in the title, I’ll pick it up, so you don’t need to type out another explanation.