How does ullaging lost beer work?

Hi Micheal, if I understand you correctly, then you have already returned them in Breww as empty kegs. If that is the case, they can no longer be directly “ullaged” in Breww, but you can still reclaim the duty. You will just need to add an adjustment to your duty return instead. Fortunately, when you do this, there is a reason field, so you can enter here that the adjustment is a duty reclaim for Ullaged kegs and casks that were marked as returned empty in error on the system. You can then list the kegs and dates returned if you wish for full auditability. If you are unsure how to make an adjustment to your duty return, this is covered in our 📘 Introduction to UK beer duty guide.

Let us know if you need any more support at all!

Hey Connor. The returned casks and kegs are all currently full. Some are still good to be sold while some are out of date. Where they were being stored was down as a secondary site (non bonded) so the duty as paid when they were moved there. They have now been returned to our main site both physically and on Breww. I didn’t want to dispose of any of them until I knew exactly what I was doing with the duty.

I hope that clears up the situation a bit.

Hi Michael,

Yes, that makes perfect sense! In this case, you can stock adjust out the out-of-date kegs, marking them as lost/spoilt, and this will make the reclaim for you. Our guide on How to perform a stock adjustment might be helpful here, too.

Hey Connor

Ok thats awesome. Thanks

1 Like