When racking from a container, show original container number on the stock label

Hi
We rack a lot of beer from cask into beer in box. Is it possible on the racking label (i.e. the label that goes onto the beer in box) to have the source container number. This would allow tracking much more easily if we need to. I don’t know whether this would be useful for others that perhaps rack from one container to another for bottling etc rather than when it comes direct from tank.
Thanks
John

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, John.

In theory, you could:

• Rack from a Firkin to two Pins
  • Rack those two Pins back into a single different Firkin
  • Rack from that Firkin into a BiB

In this (somewhat contrived) situation, which source container would you want to show on the label?

Hi Luke
While I agree that theoretically that is possible I just cannot see that in the real world. Firstly Breww wouldn’t let you do it as you can’t put back 2 smaller containers to a larger one (which in itself is a huge frustration but for a different time) and secondly you wouldn’t do it for all sorts of operational reasons such as loss of carbonation/concern over infection etc.
However to answer your question in our case you still would only need the original container number as what you are trying to establish (or at least for us) are things like the following:

1. If we have a reported issue in two 20L BiBs is it that they came from the same original cask or have we got a batch issue

2. When you have a whole list of printed bib stickers (bare in mind we may have 32 casks on the rack for bib at any one time) there may be a number of the same beer and gyle e.g 4 x 20L and 4 x 10L. What we need to know is which of those belong together without having to trawl through the system. If we don’t actually fill 1 x 20 and 2 x 10 from the correct cask then it makes a mockery of our traceability.

Happy to discuss by phone if it is easier
Thanks
John

Thanks John, yes, that all makes sense. And sorry for the confusion on the two Pins back to one Firkin bit - you’re right!

John, I’m sorry for the confusion here, but Max has just pointed out to me that you can rack two Pins into a single Firkin. If you go to ContainersActions & toolsRack from containers, you can combine two Pins into a single Firkin :+1: If you have any trouble with this, please let us know.

Hi
That is a change that we hadn’t picked up on as you never used to be able to and we (on Max’s instructions) have been getting rid of 2 x 10L and creating a 20L of the same product for about the last 2 years. Great to know we can stop that work around.
However I still stick by my comments above regarding which container number needs to show
Cheers
John

Ah, I’m sorry that this was missed. Ironically, this was the very last feature announced on our old release notes page, before we switched to the updates.breww.com version that keeps track of who has seen which updates and added the “badge” in Breww itself to show you when there are new features. We had identified that we were not very good at communicating new updates, which is what prompted the switch. To be honest, we still know there is room for improvement in this area, so we hope to improve on this even further in the future.

Perfect, thanks :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Luke. Appreciate how difficult it is keeping so many of us updated.
Cheers
John

1 Like