Sensory tracking & quality control (QC) records during/post packaging when batch is complete

If this is the right place to make a suggestion for post-packaging QC: I would like to suggest an option to log canning QC information such as seam height, thickness, body hook, end hook, etc. I’m now doing this in excel sheets (and have calculations for e.g. actual overlap and body hook butting there) which I can share.

Regarding the tracking of sensory data: I run our sensory sessions and log all data (visual, smell, taste, flavour, mouthfeel, etc; incorporating flavour descriptors of multiple flavour wheels) using google sheets, then export and analyse them in R to make reports per batch and make comparisons between two batches. It’s nothing more than quantitative descriptive analysis on a basic level; I haven’t had the chance yet to write analyses on >2 batches. If anything of my programming / ideas could be useful, let me know.

1 Like

We’d like to track container cleaning/inspections too. Unless a separate cleaning process that worked for containers was introduced perhaps this could be tracked during racking? (we inspect before racking, so a record of it would be good).

1 Like

That’s an interesting suggestion, Craig - there could be a good link up here :thinking:

Just for reference of anyone reading this, there is also this separate thread: Cleaning records for casks/kegs

Hi folks,

Rather a lot of our existing quality control checks require a home in Breww for attaching data to the batch for centralised transparency across teams and reporting for traceability.

Each batch requires “Micro Results” associated with “Day 2”, “Day 7/Post Dryhop”, “BBT”, “In can” and/or “In keg” depending on pack format. Each micro result would need to include 4x numerical inputs “Aerobic cfu/mL”, “Anaerobic cfu/mL”, “Mould cfu/mL” and “Wild Yeast cfu/mL” (ideally with a tolerance flag and out of spec alert if greater than a certain count), a customisable drop-menu choice box for the PCR result, a text field for description of the PCR result, and a time/date field for the timestamp if from a can/keg.

If “Fermentation Readings” could essentially be replicated as a separate category of checks called “Micro Results” with these fields, that would be great. These should then be allowed to be submitted either while the beer is in tank or after pack, as many times as needed.

Likewise it would make sense to make multiple entries through a separate form that can capture sensory results.

Admins should also be able to edit the fields, units etc in Fermentation Readings, Micro Results and Sensory Results to capture the various needs for each batch/brewery.

Currently we are capturing this all in parallel on spreadsheets which is a lot of decentralised rework and potential for error.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like