Multi-turn batch OG field

The scenario is as follows:
I have a multi-turn batch. Two turns, let’s say on one day.
In the recipe creation I have added required actions, one of which is to record the OG.
So Turn 1 reads an OG of 1.046, for instance.
And Turn 2 reads an OG 1.047.

When I later click on the tank Icon under “Production”, it shows a summary of the tank contents, and a field that says “Please Provide an Original Gravity”.
Shouldn’t the software calculate the OG based on the volume of each turn and its particular OG?
Why do I have to add that field in after the fact?

Thanks for the question, Henry.

When building your recipes, you can add as many “Take reading” actions as you’d like, such as pre-boil and post-boil, but you could easily take multiple additional readings, such as during transfer from the kettle to the fermentation vessel.

If Breww was to assume that one of these was the OG this would certainly be incorrect in many cases. If Breww was to assume the average (or volume-weighted average) of these was the OG, this would also be wrong in many cases. This is why Breww doesn’t currently assume any of your readings entered into a recipe are the OG (or attempt to calculate the OG from them).

We’ve some big improvements planned for the brewing page of Breww which should mean that this can work even better in the future, but for now, I’m afraid you do have to enter the OG manually as this ensures that Breww hasn’t made an incorrect assumption over what the OG should be.

I’m currently facing the same issue, having to calculate the OG on an excel spreadsheet which we were using previously. It would be fantastic if there was functionality to used calculated fields based on Multi-turn production, that way I could use the reporting tags feature to do this in BREWW.

For example, if I used the reporting tag to record the Cast Out Gravity and Volume of each turn (Between 1&10 Turns, I could use this data to run the following equation: SUM(Cast_Out_Gravity*Cast_Out_Volume)/SUM(Cast_Out_Volume)
Which would give me the OG of the total wort we’ve sent over to FV
SUM(Cast_Out_Volume)
Which would give me the total Volume in the FV

That way I could input these calculations directly into BREWW, or even better have BREWW do this for me directly

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, Lewis. I think Calculated ABV on merged batches & OG on multi-turn batches would be a good option for you? If so, could you give that thread a vote to help move it up the priority list? Cheers.