Mailchimp Integration

Hey Guys,

are we any closer to the mail chimp integration please?

Cheers
Libby

Hi Libby,

The Mail Chimp integration has been in discussion recently here. The project got delayed a bit because of fairly simply work arounds, such as using the data explorer tool to export a list of customers, which you can then import into Mail Chimp. However, we do hope to fit this project in soon, so we will update you when we’ve made progress.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt,

it becomes quite costly that way when Mailchimp charge per list - we like to do targeted campaigns so it would be really useful if you guys can integrate.

Cheers
Libby

Hi Libby,

We’re just discussing how best to build this integration, would it work for you if Breww had one list synced with Mailchimp that contains all your customers? The customers in this list could have their tags in Breww synced to Mailchimp, plus some custom fields that we keep up to date, such as “last order date” and “average order value”. You can then segment the list in MailChimp with this.
Also, would you also like all contacts to be added to MailChimp, or just the primary email address for the Customer?
We appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt,

sorry I missed your reply to this!

Yes that would work - tagging is how we currently sync over with Capsule. I’ve attached a screen grab if it helps!

All contact email addresses please - invariably we will have a main venue email address but several contacts who are involved in ordering with their own email address.

Cheers
Libby

Hey Libby,

Thanks for the info here. We’re hoping to get going with this very soon. We will keep you updated with any progress.

Cheers,
Matt

1 Like

Hi Libby,

Thanks for your patience on this… I’m delighted to say that it’s now live and ready for use :tada:

Full details on how to enable the integration, and how it works, can be found at:

I’d recommend making sure you have a backup/export of your existing list data before switching on the Breww data sync, in case you need it at a later date. I’d also suggest disabling any other integrations (such as Capsule) so the two systems don’t fight over whom they believe are the correct list subscribers.

If you’ve any questions on this, please let us know, and we’ll be more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Luke

Hi Luke,

amazing - thank you!

Quick question regarding the integration & the list - as you know we were using Capsule previously, I don’t suppose you happen to know if that data is stored on Mailchimp do you or is it a push process? Hope that makes sense.

When you say disable other integrations - I presume we do that before syncing from Breww?

Very excited for this!!!

Cheers
Libby

Me again!

I’ve just answered my first question!!

Will disable the Capsule integration & go for it - Eeeek…

Cheers
Libby

Hi Libby,

Sorry for the slow reply and great to hear you’re excited for this!

I believe all data on tags, etc will be in both Capsule and Mailchimp at the moment, so Capsule should be able to put it back in Mailchimp for you if you need to for some reason.

When you go live with the Breww integration (assuming you do the “all customers” sync), we’ll check the list on Mailchimp and:

• If the customer (email address) exists in both Breww and Mailchimp - we’ll update the details on Mailchimp to match what Breww understands to be correct, such as if the name is different, we will change the name to be the name in Breww. We will make sure any tags on the customer in Breww are also set in Mailchimp. Any tags that already exist on the customer in Mailchimp (but not Breww) will remain on the customer in Mailchimp, but will NOT be pulled back down to Breww.
  • If the customer exists in Mailchimp’s list, but not in Breww - we will remove the customer from the list completely.
  • If the customer exists in Breww, but not in Mailchimp - We will add the customer to the Mailchimp list, including all tags and extra info (such as last order date, customer group, type, etc)

I’d suggest the following process to get started:

1. First of all, I’d pause/disable the Capsule sync.
  2. Take an export from Mailchimp of all the data, so that if anything unexpected happens you can always restore the data in Mailchimp to what you had before Breww got involved!
  3. Pause any automations in Mailchimp (e.g. any automatic emails based on a trigger, if you use this feature). If anything syncs to Mailchimp that’s not right or what you’re expecting, this will make sure that no automatic emails are sent before you’ve had a chance to review the data.
  4. Make sure that you’re happy with your customer data in Breww, especially tags as I know you use them extensively.
  5. Make any data changes to Breww that are needed. You can of course make changes one-by-one in Breww, or if there are lots to update, you can export all customers/contacts from Breww by going to Settings > Data imports and updates > Data updates > Customers and contacts. You can then make the adjustments in the Excel file and re-import this back to Breww. The id column at the start is very important, as this is how we make sure to apply any changes in the file back to the correct customer record.
  6. Authorise the integration, as per the steps in the help guide, and set up all your customers to sync to your list in Mailchimp. The sync will start automatically and will take a short while to complete. You can see the status of the sync in Breww, so you know when it’s complete.
  7. Check the data in Mailchimp is correct.
  8. Re-enable any automations that were disabled before.
  9. Open a beer and make a list of fun things to do in all the new spare time you’re going to have :beers: :joy:

Alternatively, if you’re nervous (understandably), you could create a brand-new list in Mailchimp for Breww to use and leave the existing Capsule-based one in place. When you’re happy with Breww’s list and that the data is syncing as you need, you can delete the Capsule one, but you have it there safely in case you need to go back to it. I’m not sure of the cost/price plan implications of this on Mailchimp, so you might want check this is not going to be expensive, despite hopefully only having 2 lists for a day or two.

If you’ve any other questions, let us know!

Cheers

Gulp - gone for it & currently syncing… Might open that beer now!! :rofl:

1 Like

Hey Luke,

screen grab as talked about. Let me know if we can do anything from our end to help!

Cheers
Libby

Thanks Libby!

I just found out that to make the segment that you need with Mailchimp’s native tag support (which is what Breww is using at the moment), requires a higher price plan subscription with Mailchimp to give you advanced segmentation logic:

From that article, it looks like you’ll be able to do logic like:

has Area1 tag
or
has Area2 tag
–
and
does not have PubChain1 tag

Which isn’t possible on the lower price plans.

As discussed, we’ll explore using a custom “dropdown” field, like Capsule look to have done, to see if we can remove this limitation, by providing the data in a different format to Mailchimp :grin: I’ll get back to you shortly.

Hey Libby,

We’ve managed to work out the cunning trick that Capsule are using to allow you to filter on multiple tags without needing to pay for Mailchimp’s higher plans :wink:

We’ll continue to sync tags to the “Tags” part of Mailchimp, but we’ll also sync them to “Breww tags” which you should be able to use in the same way as you could with Capsule.

Your list should have been updated with this extra data now, so would you mind giving this a try and confirming it working?

Cheers

Woohoo - you great bunch you - it works!! :star_struck:

1 Like

Fantastic news, thanks for confirming! Enjoy!

1 Like

Hello,

Hello. We had a few issues with syncing customers to Breww. One issue was that I had done the tags wrong. This is all sorted now but the historic tags still come up when we want to integrate with mail chimp. All the old tags are still in the list and it will be a pain to pick from them when syncing across. Is there a way to delete the unused tags from Breww so we can integrate only the tags we are using.

Thanks,

Hi Dan,

we use pretty much all of the tags on Breww? I’m not sure what you’re asking…

Cheers
Libby

Hi Dan,

We have received your ticket and we will look to sort the tags out for you. We will respond on your ticket once this is done.

Cheers,

Joe