Changing the Value of Basic Variables

As we’re an Austrian based brewery, we’d like our invoices to be sent in German language. I’ve been spending some time customising/translating the default example invoices into German, but what I haven’t figured out is how to edit the value of the Basic Variables.

For example, document_title is Sales Order, but we’d like it to be Rechnung. tax_name is VAT, but we’d like it to be UsT. Is there a way to change these values for the Basic Variables?

We’d also like to customise the invoice number. Currently it is just a normal number like “3”, but we’d like something similar to “2021-0003”. Is there a way to do this?

Hi Phill,

Thanks for getting in touch.

VAT - we can change this on your account to UsT, you’ll then see this in other areas in Breww.

In terms of translations, your account is set to English language, would you like us to change it to German? If so, document titles will be translated for you automatically. This should cover “Sales order” to “Reihenfolge”, “Invoice” to “Rechnung” and others. It will also mean that dates and numbers get formatted as you’d expect them, e.g. €0.00 to €0,00. If you’d still like the language to be English, there are other ways to get the translated document names.

To have the actual system invoice numbers change, we would need to build a feature for customising these. We’re happy to add this to the request list. However, you can change how they’re displayed on invoices to what you’d like. To simply force this on the invoice, you could use the following code in the template, which will override the variable set behind the scenes. You’d need to place this code anywhere above where your document_number variable is called. This code is based upon the date formatting on the assumption you want us to swap to German language, as this will change the date formatting from “dd/mm/YYYY” to “dd.mm.yy”.

{# Change display of document number #}
{# Determine document year ("20" followed by last 2 digits of date) #}
{% set document_date_year = "20" ~ issue_date_short[-2:] %}
{# Concat the year with a left padded document number (padded to 4 digits) #}
{% set document_number = document_date_year ~ "-" ~ ('%04d' % document_number) %}

Please let me know if you would like us to change your language to German, and tax name to UsT.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt.

Unfortunately I made a typo in my earlier post. The tax here is “USt”, not “UsT”. Would you mind changing it?

The language problem is frankly mine. My first language is English, but we happen to be brewing in Austria. English is fine for me, and partners, in Breww. However, customers will expect German language invoices etc.

We’ve manually edited most of the invoice template now to be in German. Nonetheless, being able to set some of these basic variables would be handy though. e.g. set the decimal point as a comma or the thousand separator as a full stop. If switching to German made things automatically in local format, such as the currency example you gave above, it might be worth a try. Would it be a pain to switch it back to English if the German version didn’t work out for us?

Thanks for the tips regarding the custom invoice numbers.

One further question, in the email settings we have our “reply-to” address set. However, after sending our first invoice to a customer the email shows as being sent from “[email protected]”. Can this be changed so that it shows as having been sent from us? (If one hits reply to the email, the correct address is used, it’s just that the email shows as coming from Breww, not us).

Cheers
Phill

Hi Phill,

No problem, I will shortly change your tax name to USt, and language to German.
It’s quick to switch your language back if you don’t work well with it in German, so just let me know. Although, most of Breww will remain in English anyway. If there are things in your template that are still in English after the language change, and you’re not sure how to change them to German, just let me know what they are, and we’ll work something out.

In terms of the sent-from email address, I’ll have a chat with the rest of the team about our options here. If we were to make the email come from your domain, we would have to integrate with your email provider to do this properly. We’d then need to integrate with all the email providers used by our customers to cover everyone, so you can see how this seemingly small task might build up! We’ll discuss this soon and keep you in the loop.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers,
Matt