Barcode for picking/assigning stock to represent the product & batch number (then have Breww auto-assign)

Hey Luke,

Thanks for getting back.

No, this isn’t possible at the moment. It may be possible to add this as a new feature, but it would only be usable for smallpack and non-returnable containers (it could in effect, be a guide for the auto-assignment, to assign a container but limited to the batch/SKU suggested by the barcode). Tracked casks/kegs always need to know the specific containers.
This would need to be a feature request if this is something that you’d like.

We only use non-returnable containers. The auto-assign feature is useful, but doesn’t tally up with what gets done on the ground 100% of the time. Hence the need for barcode scanning. And order fulfillment will never follow a single rational, so barcodes at our size is starting to become very necessary.

I don’t quite understand this part:

This may also lead to issues, such as your barcode scan telling Breww to assign product X, batch Y and there not being any more of that batch left.

This sounds like a stock issue rather then an issue with a barcode or label.

Breww will print the same barcode for all smallpack in a specific racking, so they may work for you there, but this will cause problems with casks/kegs where the barcodes are always different. Even with smallpack, Breww will know how many smallpack products were packaged and so you could lead yourself into problems down the line by photocopying and reusing labels if you try to use more than Breww expected.

When we print our labels, we use however many we need from our photocopied amount, then update the planned packaging amount in the batch of how many where actually packed.
Each keg has a NR and the SP number is for all small pack for the batch. So our labels sort of exist separate to the method of keeping track of containers in Breww.
For us there isn’t any imperative to keep track on individual packaged items, traceability here doesn’t serve us (from what I can see).

So the barcode system currently set up requires us to change the way we work in a way that on the floor becomes more convoluted and easier to make mistakes without any benefit other then gaining access to a Breww function.

Why do they need to be used chronologically? You should be able to just make sure the labels used have been scanned during racking, and Breww will work out the rest for you. Have you seen our guide on pre-printed labels with reserved barcodes and then using these during packaging? I suspect this workflow would cover what you’re looking for as it’s meant for just this - printing barcode labels in advance of racking, with at least enough labels, and then confirming which were actually used when actually racking.

My mistake with the chronological comment, I see that the NR number doesn’t have to be chronological when assigned to products. However, it would be a pain to manually remove the in-between numbers since we don’t use a scanner whilst packaging. (and wouldn’t want to if we can help it)

I can see why it looks like a complete system. But for us, it is requiring change across several departments and invites mistakes.

Happy to arrange a call so we aren’t getting crossed wires. -Hazel-

Thanks, Tom