Australian Beer Excise Duty

Breww can quickly and accurately calculate beer excise duty for Australian breweries. To run your report for a given month, simply click the Excise duty tab on the left-hand menu and enter the date range you’d like to report on.

Breww will then generate your excise duty totals, showing you the LALs and excise amount owed per tariff. You’ll also see a high-level breakdown showing the total quantity and volume of each beer, container type and ABV combination that became both payable and reclaimable during the period.

To view the breakdown in more detail, click the View entries button to the right of each breakdown row. Here, you can see all the entries that made up the totals seen in that row, ensuring your excise reporting is fully and easily auditable.

How does Breww calculate these totals?

Breww will determine that beer has become payable when it is either dispatched as part of a delivery that is not for export or it is moved to a Non-bonded location.

If beer is returned from a delivery, it will remain Duty-paid and so will not be added to your excise duty report next time it is dispatched. If duty-paid beer is then marked as lost or spoiled, Breww will add it to the Reclaimable totals section of your excise duty report and remove the volume from the totals to pay.

How does Breww determine which products are part of which tariff?

When determining the tariff of a product, Breww looks at ABV, the individual container’s capacity, and whether the container type is “designed to connect to a pressurised gas delivery system or pump delivery system”.

• Individual container’s capacity: This is taken from the container type’s Gross capacity.
  • ABV: For non-derived beers, this is taken from the ABV of the batch. Depending on your settings, this will either be the beer’s advertised ABV, the measured ABV of the batch (based on gravity readings), or simply a manually entered ABV you’ve added. For derived beers, this will always be the ABV on the beer (i.e. the advertised ABV). To choose the setting you’d like to use, you can go to SettingsBeer duty settings → Set your preferred option beneath Default ABV calculations.
  • Pressurised gas delivery system or pump delivery system: If the container type’s type is Cask or Keg, Breww will treat it as “designed to connect to a pressurised gas delivery system or pump delivery system”.

Does Breww have the excise duty rates built in?

Yes! Breww will always have the latest rates built-in, so there is no need to enter your excise duty rates into Breww manually.

Excellent update, thanks very much.

Could you add an Excel export function to this? Also, will it automatically filter out contract batches that have been mark as ‘partner brewery is liable for the duty’?

2 Likes

Hi Zac - not at all; we’re delighted to have this launched finally!

Yes, definitely, we’re looking to add an Excel export for it shortly - I’ll let you know once that’s live. And yes, any batches marked as “Partner brewery is liable for the duty” are excluded from the report entirely.

1 Like

Hi,

I would also be very keen for this functionality is we run a series of reporting and analytics that need to consume this data. The current screen is not ideal for extracting the data and I’m now missing this data from reporting since moving across to Breww.

In addition, it would be great to separate the UoM (i.e. L) from the LAL data and also have the excise tarif item in a TEXT format, e.g “1.1”, “1.10”, “1.11”, instead of numerical 001, 0110, 0111.

thanks,
Nathan

1 Like

Hi Nathan - thanks for the feedback! We’ve made some updates to the Excise report now, including the ability to export the report to Excel and showing the tariff code in its text format.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if there’s anything else you’d like included in the exported Excel file!

1 Like

Thanks Max .

Is there any chance of reporting excise per line item? Like a detailed report? Currently I report excise back to an invoice number, but I can’t do that with the summary data. Understand that might not be what others are looking for, it’s just how I do my reporting.

cheers,
Nathan

Hi Nathan - of course! This was pretty straightforward, so we’ve been able to add a further sheet to the Excel export with a line-by-line breakdown of all entries that made up the totals you see.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

that is awesome! thank you.

Could you add columns:
Tarif Item, Excise Rate, LALs/Excise LALs, Excise Amount?

Pretty please :smiley:

1 Like

Apologies that we haven’t replied to you before now, Nathan. We’ll see what we can do for you :+1:

1 Like