Reporting on expected costs of recipes and products

The main costing reports in Breww are the following:

• Recipe cost breakdown
  • Product expected cost report
  • Actual batch costs report on the batch
  • Margin by invoice and Margin by customer type which use the actual costs and sales price to calculate margins

Recipe cost breakdown

You can view expected costs for a batch of a beer/recipe by going to RecipesCost report, where Breww will run an expected cost report for that specific recipe. There you can also enter the expected wastage amount and tweak the expected ingredient costs to see the effect on the cost forecast.

Product expected cost breakdown

The “Product expected cost breakdown” report in ReportingProduction & inventory reports will show the expected ingredient costs based on the beer’s recipe and the packaging costs based on the product’s stock items if they have been entered in Breww.

Actual batch costs report

The “Actual batch costs” report can be accessed by going to ProductionBatch #ReportsCost report. This will show the actual ingredient costs of the batch, packaging costs and duty, as well as your utility costs if they have been entered in Breww.

Margin by invoice and Margin by customer type

The “Margin by invoice” and “Margin by customer type” reports in ReportingSales reports will use the actual costs and sales price to calculate margins.

If you have any questions, just comment below.

A post was split to a new topic: Batch cost forecast inc. utility/other costs

The margin by invoice/customer report looks great! A lot of detail into the actual cost by each of these customers/invoices.

Could we add an additional column which would calculate the expected margin by invoice and customer based on the first two subheadings in this post? This would allow for some meaningful analysis of expected versus actual Cost of Goods Sold.

Thanks!

Thanks @isaac-parnell for the suggestion. I’m sure this can be looked into.

If you’d like to raise a feature request for this, that would be great. Unfortunately, comments on help guides will get lost. We manage our dev team’s workload via the threads in the feature request section, so all requests have to be there for them to be done.

For more on how we manage feature requests, please see our guide on 💡 Posting ideas & feature requests for Breww 💙. Thanks

Hi Luke

On the margin reports, it doesn’t seem to include the container costs that we allocate per container for the stock valuation. Is this correct or am I missing something? It would be great to get the additional costs per container that we have in our stock valuations to be included in the margin reports as a cost too.

Thanks

Hi Jack,

The margin reports will always include any costs for the product, including any ingredients used in production, any stock items used in packaging and any other/utility costs on the batch applicable to that product, but if you are referring to the “Finished Goods additional value per container” that can be added in Stock valuation settings, then these are not included in the margin reports as this is used to add value rather than add cost and is therefore not relevant to margin.

I hope this makes sense, but please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Hi Connor

Thanks for the clarification.

I’d like to have our container costs included for more accurate margin reporting so would my best bet be to have containers as a stock item that would be allocated as a cost every time a batch is racked?

Thanks

Hi Jack,

Yes, I would agree. Our guide on Assigning stock items to Products or Container types may be helpful in deciding whether to assign to the container or product, but let us know if you need any more support at all.

Great thanks for the help Connor, all sorted now.

1 Like

Is there a report made or that I can adapt from raw data to show us the costs for each batch (pre racking), so we can see the cost increases as a sliding scale over a custom period, lets say also with filters by recipe or just all the raw data so I can do filtering in excel.

I know you can go into each batch individually and see the cost figure but I’m talking about a report on all batches so we can see total batch cost fluctuations over time rather than comparing snapshots of different single batches which may be packaged differently or have adhoc costs.

It would also be interesting to see this report at batch level data in a table/chart post pack to see the general % trends.

This info would all help with pricing decisions linked accurately to cost inflations.
It might already be there but I cannot find/build it.
Cheers

Thank you for bringing this up in the community. Currently, we do not have any reports that can do this. However, if you raise this as a feature request I am sure our development team will be happy to review it for you.

Hey folks,

Apologies if this has been covered,

For this report, how do we know which recipe its pulling from for the expected cost? For products that have been made several times?

The same question for merged batches? Is it pulling from all of them?

Thanks, James.

Hi James, thanks for your comment, and welcome to the community! Apologies; I’m unsure which report your question refers to, but it sounds like either the Recipe cost breakdown or the Product expected cost breakdown.

The recipe cost breakdown requires you to select a specific recipe and, therefore, will use the costs associated with the stock items on the selected recipe when calculating the expected cost breakdown.

The product expected cost breakdown will consider both the expected costs of the stock items on the latest recipe for the beer and the materials associated with the product’s packaging. So, neither of these reports looks at any batches produced and will not consider merged batches. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

1 Like

Is there a way to add in the “automatic batch costs” when using the cost report for specific recipes so we can see the full cost of a beer including labour/utilities?

This isn’t possible at the moment, I’m afraid. If you could raise this as a feature request we can review this, as this would be a nice improvement.