Managing beers, drinks and packaging approval

One of the most important steps in Breww to be able to brew and package your beers and drinks is to create and manage your beers/drinks themselves. If you a producing a drink type that is not beer, you will first need to head to your settings and select which drink types you produce. Please see the article below for more details. For the remainder of this article, if you are producing a different drink type to beer, you can replace the term ‘Beer’, with ‘Drink’, as this will be displayed instead on your Breww account.

Creating and managing your beers

New beers can be added, and existing beers managed in ProductionViewBeers.

When creating a new beer, you will be prompted to enter the following:

• Name
  • Drink type
  • Beer style
  • Beer code prefix (used when automatically creating product codes)
  • Short customer-facing description
  • Alcohol percentage
  • Degrees plato for export invoices
  • Drink style
  • Allergens
  • Colour
  • Label print colour

When creating a new beer, you will need to enter your BBE dates for your stock labels and also have the option to add a BBE to be used from delivery. The beer can also be tagged, which is a really handy way of being able to easily filter your beers for reporting, for example, your ‘core’ beers and your ‘seasonal’ beers. You can also enter a customer-facing description for your beer to be used on the Breww trade store. Any tags entered against a beer can also be used as categories in the trade store. You can find out more on how to create a Breww trade store for your business via the article below.

You can also choose to ‘quick-create’ products within a beer for container types already registered in the system.

Packaging approval

Packaging approval templates can be set within a beer after its creation to ensure certain parameters are met before racking is permitted. To set a new packaging approval template, navigate to the beer in question and select the ‘+’ icon under the Packaging approval subheading.

From here, new approval templates can be added from the dropdown box and customised to your requirements. The number of packaging approval parameters is not limited, and you can select whether readings are mandatory or not using the ‘Edit approval required’ option within this menu. If you select to make approval mandatory, it will not be possible to package (rack) this beer until the approval is completed on a per-batch basis. When managing a beer, you can copy saved packaging approval templates from other beers

“You can also enter the degrees Plato of a beer which is used when raising export invoices for a product of this beer.” - Is this the final gravity of the product, or the original gravity?

I think this is the original gravity, but I’d recommend seeking professional advice on this if you’re not sure. Or maybe someone else in the community could shed some light on this? UPS have a handy guide that doesn’t make this any clearer :joy:

Because, in the UK, we use ABV, this isn’t something that I’m so familiar with, so possibly one of our non-UK community members would be more familiar with this. Sorry, I can’t be of more help.

My guess would be FG for calculating shipping weights… but I don’t currently export, so not sure. I’m sure I’ll find out in due course.

Original gravity - for taxation purposes.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Describe how a beer should be packaged, e.g. Black cans, white boxes

Hi Luke,
Creating my first brew today I started the brewing process however part way through realised I could add ph gravity readings etc to recipe, so went back into recipe and edited etc however I now want that to update my current brew if that makes sense. Is there a way to change recipe version part way through a brew. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi Scott

Welcome to Breww, and thank you for posting! Yes, you can change the beer recipe while the batch is in progress. If you head to the batch you want to change the recipe for and then go to Actions > Edit batch details, you will see a field for the recipe where you can update it.

There are a couple of things worth noting:

• Updating the batch recipe will clear anything recorded in the Brewing page of your batch, so it would be worth making a record of any readings and progress recorded there so that you can quickly update this page once you have made your changes.
  • Any ingredient additions made to your batch or readings recorded in the analysis tab before the batch is updated will remain.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions at all.